Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

What's Next?

There was a Knitpicks box in the mail today. It contained a good supply of Options metal sock circulars. I'm hooked on that nice sharp point. Now that I've learned not to prick my finger bloody, I want to use them all the time.

Also in the box, an interesting supply of swatching yarn. There are three pattern candidates for my next sweater. I'm going to swatch and decide which pattern to knit next - but no swatching allowed until Autumn Song is done. (I'm sewing. It's going painfully slow because I'm painfully slow at sewing. Sigh.)

Potential Project 1 - Set-in Sleeve Aran in Janet's Szabo's book Aran Sweater Design.


Swatching Yarns for Set-in Sleeve Aran

Left - Merino Style (100% Merino Wool, DK wieght) in Fog. A few years ago I ordered a swatching ball of red Merino Style and didn't like the scratchy feel of it. This skein is entirely different, very soft and nice. The color is a bit uninspiring, but may look better when it's knit up.

Center - Wool of the Andes (100% Peruvian Highland Wool, worsted weight) in Lake Ice Heather. I love this heathery light blue. Wish the Merino Style came in this color.

Right - Wool of the Andes (100% Peruvian Highland Wool, worsted weight) in Dove Heather. An unlikely choice now that I've seen it. I'll probably strand it with some leftover sock yarn for color and knit a pair of toddler CIC socks.


Potential Project 2 - Hourglass Cables designed by Charlotte Morris. From Knitter's Magazine Fall 2001, #64.


Swatching Yarn for Hour Glass Cables

Cadena (70% wool, 30% superfine alpaca) in Neptune. This is a super soft heavy yarn. I love the feel of it and only wish it came in more interesting colors.

Neptune was the only Cadena color in stock I'd consider for this sweater. At first I was disappointed, but the color is growing on me. I'm very curious to see how it knits up.


Potential Project 3 - She Said Aran designed by Barbara Venishnick. From Knitter's Magazine Winter 1999, #57.

I've been wanting to knit this sweater since I first saw it eight years ago. I love the way the cables turn into diamonds and finally join together at the top.


Swatching Yarns for She Said Aran

Left - Swish (100% superwash wool, worsted weight) in Wisteria. I'd love to knit another sweater in Swish. I'm hoping it works out gauge wise, but I'll only use it if the cables really pop.

Center - Wool of the Andes (100% Peruvian Highland Wool, worsted weight) in Amethyst Heather. I love this color. It's about time Stitches of Violet knit something in purple, don't you think?

Right - Wool of the Andes (100% Peruvian Highland Wool, worsted weight) in Iris Heather. Pretty but way lighter color than I want for this sweater. It's going in my CIC stash.

The pattern shows the She Said Aran knit in Cascade 220. That's what I'll use if I don't get the results I want with the Knitpicks yarn.


All opinions welcome. What should I knit next?

No comments: