Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

When In Doubt, Knit Socks

The Doubt
At the end of last week after I wrote about my Eris V Neck Conundrum, I took a break from the project and knit a sock.

Once in a while I would go look at my Eris collar to see if I liked it better. I didn't. Not only that, my dissatisfaction spread to Dorothy, my Eris knitalong friend, and she became critical of her collar.

By the end of the weekend, we mutually decided to reclaim our Peruvian Highland Wool for some other project we could love more.

Eris is frogged and the yarn is packed away for now.

The Socks
Embossed Leaves socks in progressPattern: Embossed Leaves Socks by Mona Schmidt from Interweave Knits Winter 05

Yarn: Austermann Step, 75% wool, 25% nylon with Aloe Vera and Jojoba Oil

Color: 03

Needles: Addi Turbo #1

Gauge: 8 stitches/inch, 10 rows/inch in stockinette

I wasn't sure who these socks were going to fit. The pattern calls for 64 stitches which is an inch too big for me. My favorite fit is 56 stitches.

Imagine my delighted surprise to find this stitch pattern fits snugly to my leg. So I decreased the gussets down to 60 stitches, enough stitches so I could still run the leaves down the instep, and claimed the socks for myself.

Curious about the Aloe Vera and Jojoba Oil in Austermann Step? It makes the yarn very soft. It also leaves a slight oily feeling residue on my hands, making them feel like they need to be washed. Since I haven't worn the socks yet, I can't comment on how they're going to feel on my feet.

The yarn store sells this yarn for $21.75 a skein. I fell for the color, bought it out of curiosity, and said it better be super wonderful or I won't be buying any more of it. At least not at that price. I've seen it for less in online yarn stores.

It's nice yarn. It isn't going to replace Opal as my favorite.


Something to Smile About

Sydney showing where her head isGranddaughter Sydney answers the question, "Where is your head?"

What a smart girl.

Only three more weeks and I'm flying across the country to give her a big kiss and ask her where her head is.

No comments: