Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Simple Woman's Daybook for October 18

These writing prompts are available from Simple Woman's Daybook where each Tuesday we're invited to join in celebrating the beauty of everyday moments around us.

FOR TODAY October 18, 2011...

Outside my window...
It looks like autumn and it feels like autumn.

I am thinking...
Doing Simple Woman Daybooks has been a good way to keep the blog going during a time when I'm not knitting much and I don't feel like blogging. I know this transition into widowhood will not last forever, but today I'm having a difficult time imagining the end. So I don't. It's too soon.

I am thankful for...
Home-made sourdough bread loaded with dried tart cherries sent overnight FedEx from the baker, brother Dave in Oregon.

Yes, it's very good to eat, but what's best about it is the love and caring it represents. Little gifts of kindness that say "I'm thinking of you" mean so much right now.



From the kitchen...
Quiche. Cut into six pieces, it's six meals for one person and so good that I don't get tired of eating it.

Used this recipe and a frozen pie crust. I like the version with green onions and bacon, and I always add the optional Parmesan. Used pre-cooked bacon and chopped it up with a shears, so prep time was quick and easy.



I am wearing...
A plain pink sweatshirt, jeans, and handknit socks.

I am creating...
Still working on Dave's socks. They're both in the middle of the gusset decreases.

I am going...
To a physical therapist to learn how to exercise with osteoporosis. Yesterday was the initial meeting and evaluation. Tomorrow the real work begins.

I am reading...
61 Hours the fourteenth book in the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child.

I think of the Reacher books as guy books with Reacher as an almost superhero. I'm listening to this one as I knit on Dave's socks, and enjoying it for what it is - not great literature but well-written and entertaining.

When I went to Amazon to get the link for the book, I learned that the book ends with a "to be continued". That's annoying, but I've written down the name of the next book and will be watching for it in the library catalog.

I am hoping...
To find firewood for sale this week and someone to hire to plow and shovel this winter. Haven't started this search yet, but they're the last critical things on the plan for hunkering down for winter and I need to get busy.

I am hearing...
Quiet with the occasional car passing by. All three dogs are sleeping.

Around the house...
The bathroom guys are done for now and it's time for me to paint. Then they'll come back and put up hardware and do a final caulking.

They told me there is no hurry, some people take years. I think I can do better than that.

One of my favorite things...
Actually, two of my favorite things. Homemade baked custard and pretty custard cups with violets.



The custard recipe is super quick and easy. I found it in Taste of Home's Cooking for One or Two, but I already had it from years ago when it originally came out in the Taste of Home Magazine. I've made it many times.

A few plans for the rest of the week:
Last night was GriefShare. Physical therapy Wednesday and Friday. A haircut on Thursday. A family sixteenth birthday party for granddaughter Kimmy on the weekend.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...
Do I hear more noisy men coming back here?


7 comments:

Sheri said...

Thanks for the quiche recipe. I haven't made quiche in ages so I'm looking forward to trying that one.
Love those little custard cups. Very cute. Not so sure I'd like the custard though.
Hope all stays quiet for you and the puppies, at least until you catch your breath!

Dorothy said...

What an incredibly sweet brother you have. I think knowing that things will get better and feeling that things will get better are two different things. I'm so glad you're using the daybook to blog so we can still feel connected with you. Lately, I get hungry reading your blog - you're posting some pretty yummy stuff.

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy your Simple Woman posts. It is good you ae cooking for yourself and have things to do. Good luck with your physical therapy (I go to mine today).

kathy b said...

M: you are doing well. I am glad you will be surrounded by family over the coming weekend. That is always a comfort ....I hope they are open and ask you directly how you are. I hope they can be good listerners and give good hugs.
I will check out your quiche recipe ! Thanks.
Your brother got it right!

Lynn said...

I truly enjoy your simple woman's daybook. I've considered it myself. It's a great way to blog that adds interest.

Love your quiche recipe. I've saved the link. Need to compare it to the one I already use. I like to add broccoli, mushrooms and onions to mine. I'm the only one who eats it so I add what I like. However I love it so much that I usually eat half of it in one shot!!!! This is why I dont make it very often!

MarieR said...

That bread looks delicious and your quiche made my mouth water. I haven't had one in ages, thanks for the recipe! I also cook only for myself and do the same thing you do - cook once, get 3 or 4 meals out of it. When you don't feel up to cooking, try one of the store-roasted chickens. They're delicious and after that initial meal with veggies, etc., they're great for sandwiches and chicken salad.

Your Simple Woman's Daybooks are always a pleasure; I look forward to them. Good luck with the therapy. Osteoporosis is no fun. God bless you, Marguerite.

Judy S. said...

MMMM...that bread looks great! I made your orange spiced nuts the other day, and they were yummy. Have you tried them with cereal for breakfast? Yum!!! Thanks again for the recipe.