Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Monday, April 17, 2006

Finished Embossed Leaves

Finished Embossed Leaves socks in green Austermann StepPattern: Embossed Leaves Socks by Mona Schmidt from Interweave Knits Winter 05

Yarn: Austermann Step, 75% wool, 25% nylon with Aloe Vera and Jojoba Oil

Color: 03

Needles: Addi Turbo #1

Gauge: 8 stitches/inch, 10 rows/inch in stockinette

Most knitters who knit this pattern say they just love how the last leaf is continued to completion in the toe decreases. With a bit of regret, I have to admit I didn't bother figuring out how to do that.

This pattern is written for the standard 64 stitches around, and 64 stitches around is too big for me. The leaf pattern, unlike most other lace patterns, fits snug to my leg with 64 stitches because of the ribbing designed into the stitch pattern. I continued the leaf pattern down the instep on 31 stitches and decreased the sole to 29, for a total of 60.

I'm sure I could have charted the pattern toe decreases to work with 4 less stitches, but I'm stuck in a toe rut. I like the way I always make my toes. Whenever I try something different, I wish I hadn't. And I was in a hurry to finish these socks so I could cast on the pair of Opal Chameleon socks I'm taking to knit in Idaho.

They're done and I'm happy with them. I plan to wear them on my travel day Wednesday.


Temporary Barbara Setback
I frogged 6 inches of the Barbara shawl last Friday.

Barbara is a Faroese shawl. The sides have a 10 row repeat but the center back has a 20 row repeat. Somehow I knit the wrong row in the center back panel and never noticed it until days and much knitting later.

It's frogged and the stitches are back on the needle, but I haven't forgiven myself yet for not noticing sooner.

Barbara is packed away until after I return from Idaho.

No comments: