Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Monday, May 31, 2010

Felici Socks Finished



In addition to Mom's birthday socks in pink Simply Sock wool, she's getting a couple more pair in Knitpicks Felici.

Since she requested "pink", how could I resist a color called Positively Pink (above), and she's likely to blind her exercise class when she shows up in Rainbow (below). If she dares to wear them out of the house.



The Felici yarn is very soft and feels like acrylic. When I started the first pair of socks, I went back to check the label to make sure it wasn't acrylic.

Felici is so soft and slippery that I got visible ladders in the cuffs. I'm sure after a few washings they'll be gone, so I didn't stew about it.

As you can see from the pictures, the colors are very very bright and pretty.

I have no idea how Felici is going to wear. I'm guessing it will get holes quicker than other sock yarn because of the acrylic like softness. But that's just a guess. It may bloom in the laundry and wear better than I expect. I'll be checking back with Mom to see how it holds up.

Note to Mom: If these socks wear out quickly, don't feel bad and please report. Many of us want to know.

Felici comes in 50 gram balls. The Positively Pink balls had the stripes in opposite order and I had to rewind one of them to get the socks to match. Then I found a knot and had to discard a small ball of yarn to get to the right place to join the ends.

I find knots in self-patterning sock yarn unforgivable. Even inexpensive sock yarn like Felici costs enough so there should be room for some quality control.

Pattern: Basic cuff down sock pattern on 64 stitches. k3p1 ribbing on cuff and instep. 5 inch cuffs.

Yarn: Knitpicks Felici sock yarn. 75% wool, 25% nylon.

Color: Positively Pink and Rainbow.

Needles: Options #1, 2.5mm

Gauge: 8 stitches/inch, 10 rows/inch

11 comments:

Walden said...

Love the rainbow socks!

Susan said...

Both pairs are lovely and fun! I totally agree with you about knots in sock yarn.

Anonymous said...

You are such a fast sock knitter!

I just started a pair of Felici socks today. Thanks for the heads up about possibly needing to rewind my second ball of yarn to get the stripes to match.

Judy S. said...

Nice colors! I sure agree with you about knots in yarn...very annoying, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your Mom for wanting pretty, colorful socks. I hope she lets you know how they wear. I've thought about trying Felici yarn too.

Anonymous said...

Those are lovely and I will have to try some of the new Felici colors.

janet said...

Socks are so much fun, I love the rainbow colorway!

Alwen said...

The pink looks like it would work well in double knitting or stranded knitting (with a darker color, I mean). Hmmmm.

Lynn said...

These are great socks!! My daughter would love the pink ones and my son would LOVE the rainbow ones!!! I may have to get them before we hear back from MOM! And you have knit the sock that I do the most of; 5" cuff, 3x1 ribbing. The only difference is I rib for 4" and then switch to stst. My ankles are big and the ribbing just bunches up. I also make a longer heel flap to accomodate my high arch. I LOVE socks!

Ann said...

The socks look great!

Yarn and Ivories said...

Your socks are wonderful. And beautifully displayed! I must admit, I like my socks to match, but they usually don't! If they don't, I haven't had any complaints!