Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Anne's Step Socks Done and Sock Sizing

Anne's second pair of birthday socks knit with the yarn she picked out are ready for mailing.


Pattern: Basic sock with k3,p1 ribbing on cuff and instep

Yarn: Austermann Step with Aloe Vera and Jojoba Oil

Color: Gray, purple, and tan

Needles: Options 2.5mm 24" circulars

Gauge: 8 stitches/inch, 10 rows/inch

Yesterday I received a nice email from Karen in Maine who asked . . .
I enjoy knitting socks for myself and I'm interested in knitting them for others as you do. How do you go about making them to fit? What measurements do you ask the person to give you and how do you relate that to the sock as you knit. I know the circumference is easy, but I've always tried on my socks to get the length correct which can't be done when giving a gift to someone.

I ask the person for their shoe size and use the Brannock Shoe Size Chart Chart.

I know my shoe size is 6, my sock row gauge is 10 rows/inch, and I require 60 rows from the gusset pickup to the start of the toe decrease for a good fit. That's my starting point to calculate how many rows to knit for someone else.

Example:
Anne wears a size 9 shoe. From the chart, I see that a size 9 is one inch longer than my size 6, so I add 10 more rows to the 60 rows I would knit for myself. (1 inch X 10 rows per inch) Anne's socks are 70 rows from the gusset pickup to the beginning of the toe decreases.

Another Example:
Mom wears a size 7 shoe. From the chart I see that a size 7 is .3 inches longer than my size 6, so I add 3 rows to the 60 rows I would knit for myself. (.3 inch X 10 rows per inch) Mom's socks are 63 rows from the gusset pickup to the beginning of the toe decreases.

The chart also converts men's sizes to women's sizes and has kid sizes, UK sizes, and European sizes. Click on the "Printer Friendly Version" for a larger, clearer chart.

No comments: