Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Frode Progress and Woodpecker With Tail

Frode front knit up to the armholesPattern: Frode (with modifications) by Elsebeth Lavold in Viking Patterns for Knitting. Size XS, 37.75 inches.

Yarn: Knitpicks Shamrock, 100% Peruvian wool, heavy worsted weight

Color: MacNamara

Needles: Addi Turbo #6

Gauge: 20 stitches/4 inches 28 rows/4 inches

Note: Frode is for CIC_Knit List big kids sweater challenge

To see a post with picture of pattern, list of modifications I'm making, and discussion of the Shamrock yarn, go here.

I'm totally enjoying this sweater with the cables and happiness signs. (The happiness sign is that center cable with the four loops.) But soon I'll have two sweaters, this one and the Peerie Brocade, on the boring, endless sleeves. Bad planning indeed.


Frode back completeAs planned, I put a single happiness sign in the upper, center back instead of the three happiness signs and the braid cables called for in the pattern.

It was just enough to help relieve the monotony of reverse stockinette and cause me to stay up too late finishing the back instead of going to bed at a reasonable hour like a sensible person.


Female Downy woodpecker eating suetI'm still heavily into new camera learning mode. It will be awhile before I get it figured out to my satisfaction.

Although the picture of the male Downy woodpecker was impressive, it was a first attempt at using my zoom lens and I chopped off his tail.

This entire woodpecker with tail is female Downy who came to feast. The picture was taken through the glass because it's too cold to have the window open.

The suet is frozen solid and does require some effort. I love the way the woodpeckers brace themselves with their tails to counteract their forceful pecking.

No comments: